What should be the minimum free space  required for  windows 2003 server??
Hi All, We have windows 2003 Server which have 500 GB Hard Disk & its divided into two partition C: ( 60 GB) D: (420 GB) .Drive d we are using as our network drive which have only 12 GB free space remaining. So does it affect on the performance of server & network drive because our server many times hangs up & network drive performance also working very slow. Many time server connectivity get disconnect for 2-3 minutes. So please suggest me how can i improve network drive performance so that nobody work hampered.Rakesh Kumar
June 6th, 2012 5:34am

Hello, slow network and connection problems may belong also to incorrect DNS settings, so please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the server and also a client that should access the share.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 6th, 2012 6:22am

Check the blog article "Windows Server running dam slow" Hope this will help you. Thanks
June 6th, 2012 6:22am

Low disk space on system drive can be a cause of the server slowness but not the only cause. There are various factor that affect both high disk usage and slowness of the system. For me 12Gb free space if enough for the server to process temp file, paging virtual memory etc. but you need to analyse your server to see what is the actual requirement for your server. Most cases low disk space will not cause sluggish system performance there you need to use tools like procmon, perfmon, poolmon to troubleshoot and find the root cause. You can start with task manager when server is slow to see what process is consuming more CPU or Memory then locate the actual application and repair it to fix the problem. Check to make sure virtual memory limit is set correctly. If you can afford to take the system down then boot it in safe mode to see if a third party application is causing the issue. Disable AV/Firewall/third party apps and test. there are many possibilities. You will have to monitor the server and find out the cause. Download the tools i mentioned and you should be able to locate the faulty process which slows your server down.Sachin Gadhave MCP, MCSA, MCTS
June 6th, 2012 6:30am

Hello, slow network and connection problems may belong also to incorrect DNS settings, so please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the server and also a client that should access the share.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
June 6th, 2012 6:32am

Low disk space on system drive can be a cause of the server slowness but not the only cause. There are various factor that affect both high disk usage and slowness of the system. For me 12Gb free space if enough for the server to process temp file, paging virtual memory etc. but you need to analyse your server to see what is the actual requirement for your server. Most cases low disk space will not cause sluggish system performance there you need to use tools like procmon, perfmon, poolmon to troubleshoot and find the root cause. You can start with task manager when server is slow to see what process is consuming more CPU or Memory then locate the actual application and repair it to fix the problem. Check to make sure virtual memory limit is set correctly. If you can afford to take the system down then boot it in safe mode to see if a third party application is causing the issue. Disable AV/Firewall/third party apps and test. there are many possibilities. You will have to monitor the server and find out the cause. Download the tools i mentioned and you should be able to locate the faulty process which slows your server down.Sachin Gadhave MCP, MCSA, MCTS
June 6th, 2012 6:40am

Hi, Thanks to all of you for your suggestion & feedback...!!Rakesh Kumar
June 16th, 2012 2:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics